Wednesday, October 24, 2012

the money equation

Work. This word can have positive or negative connotation, depending on the person. What is your view? Just to clear things up, I am talking about "work" in its purest form. In the Oxford English Dictionary online the page containing the word "work" takes a while to scroll through. However, among the first definitions are to do, perform, execute and practice.

My purpose for talking about work comes from a simple equation that has stood the tests of time:

HARD, HONEST WORK = MONEY

I dare you to try and prove me wrong. Some of you want to say there is a lot of money out there that came from work that was neither hard nor honest. I agree. That is why I now remind you that your goal is to manage your finances in a way that you can enjoy your real life. Don't fall for the very entertaining image that is painted by Hollywood of "happy" people who are "living the good life" using dishonest money. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy films like Italian Job, but I don't need to steal a safe filled with gold bars to "work."

Some of you are also thinking "I know, I know. I go to work every day. I know what it is, and it is NOT money." Well, I'm telling you that it is. I understand that there are a lot of outside factors, and I hope to go over them in future posts, but I am strictly talking about your work. And, if work has a negative connotation for you, then you don't know what work is. Work requires more than putting in your time and doing your half of the job. You need to work with your body and your mind and your soul.


Work with your Body
As Grandpa always taught, "You need to be a man." And for the ladies, be a woman. This just means that you need to be ready to get dirty when you need to. Work hard physically. This can have many correct interpretations; one of my favorites is to be willing to do anything. Don't stop working because it is hard, or it is something that you don't want to do. You aren't above anything that gives you good, honest money. If you aren't willing to do things, people won't come to you for help. When you show others that you will help and give an honest effort, people (employers) will come to you for help. 
Work with your Mind
My first payroll job was as a janitor in a warehouse. It was a big warehouse used to house inventory and boxes of old documentation for several companies, such as Albertsons and Micron. The warehouse was so big that every day it took me 4 hours just to sweep from one end of the warehouse to the other. I could have very easily lost my mind. Because of the simplicity of the task, it was very difficult to work hard. I'd have to say that my first accomplishment as a janitor was to just keep pushing through when I thought I was going to lose my mind every day. If this is what you have to do every day, excellent work! 
My next accomplishment working at the warehouse was to think the whole time. I thought about different ways I could sweep in different areas (the warehouse was in sections and they were all different), where I should start, how to best handle work areas being used by employees, what looks cleaner, which way works faster. While my job seemed menial, a few of the warehouse employees commented on how much better the place looked than when the previous janitor had the job. 
Work with your Soul
This is all about attitude and reason. What is the reason for the work you are doing? Do you feel like it has purpose? I would hope so, otherwise your employer would not have needed you to fill the position. Sometimes you are just burned out and you feel like your only reason for continuing is to keep the income. That is okay. It happens. And this is where your attitude comes in. If you are burned out, do your best to keep up a positive attitude or you are just going to cause yourself a lot more pain than there needs to be. Focus on your attitude and you will find your purpose and reason. 
Another thing to remember is that attitudes are contagious and it is a lot easier to bring others' attitudes down than it is to lift them up. When you give the effort to lift others up, you've just increased productivity. And you've just found your purpose.
I'd like to add one key principle you must always exercise and remember when considering this equation. That principle is patience. In order to master your finances and enjoy a little financial freedom, you must exercise patience in your work. You cannot plan on getting rich quick. You don't need to. Work honestly, patiently and hard using your body, mind and soul and you will find peace in your work and be able to breathe when it comes to personal and family finance.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on Adaptu! Love what you have to say about hard and honest work = money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Canada, low income earners get a free $160 check each month. Would this fall under the category of my hard work or someone else's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I understand that there are a lot of outside factors, and I hope to go over them in future posts, but I am strictly talking about your work." If I understand the point you are trying to make, I agree that it is wrong for people to become comfortable with receiving money from the government (really from other civilians) and therefore not try to work harder on their own. This would be a good example of dishonest money. This can also lead into political discussion.

      Delete